Friday, August 29, 2008

I like the nightlife. I like to boogie.



So yesterday marked the beginning of orientation. The day was filled with such boring, tedious lectures and errands that a group of us were dying to get out and see the city that night. So after a lot of telephone tag, knocking on doors, and what not we got a group of about 10 girls together. The guys had already headed down to Central to grab dinner and drinks before the club. After a 40 minute train and MTR ride into the city, we step out in Central Hong Kong and it is…just wow. So many signs and lights and people, even at 11pm there were so many people out. We walk up this hill filled with designer shops and then we’re in Lan Kwai Fong. It’s the bar district with so many bars and clubs and they were all filled as we passed by. We go into this Hotel called HotelLIKE or something like that and it is so swanky and modern. We go into the elevator and go up to the 30th floor and when we step out we’re accosted by just how gorgeous the city skyline is. The guys are still eating and drinking so we all order drinks. And while they weren’t that much cheaper than in the states, this was the best Sex on the Beach that I’ve ever had. One girl got a French Martini and I could drink those like water they’re so delicious.

The guys called ahead to the club and booked a table. We got there and actually ran into a few more CUHK kids, so our group is nearing 20 at this point. Our table is right by the bar and the place is PACKED. It’s predominantly westerners – lots of English and Australian accents could be heard. The guys bought a HUGE bottle of champagne and it comes out with a firework attached. The guys also bought like 2 or 3 bottles of vodka with cranberry and orange juices for mixing. I don’t know about the other people there, but I am definitely not used to this kind of lifestyle at clubs. Whenever I do go to clubs, I just go and dance and maybe get one drink because I’m cheap like that. These kids, they live it up! The club played a great mix of the stuff we hear back home and then some trance and techno. We ended up staying until about 3am. The taxi back got lost and didn’t understand much English but eventually we did get to campus. Although, he dropped us off at the very edge so we had to walk and try and find our way in the dark through the wilderness. Quite an adventure! Ended up getting back to the room at 4am and then talking to a few people back home since it was the middle of the afternoon there.

Today was more of the same boring orientation stuff, but it culminated with a welcome dinner in Tsim Sha Tsui. We had the whole restaurant for the IASP CUHK program. The panoramic windows showed the entire Hong Kong Island skyline and it’s fantastic. The photos do not do it justice. I missed the nightly light show but I’m sure I’ll catch it another time. I debated going out again tonight but since I’m moving into my permanent dorm tomorrow morning I decided against it. There will be plenty of time this semester.

Ps. Uploaded photos to facebook. Highlights here: skyline from the restaurant, champagne fireworks, and a few of the beautiful ladies I went with.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

:) You sound like you're having fun!