Tuesday, December 16, 2008

This isn't "goodbye" this is "I'll see you around"

Alright guys, I'm so behind that I'm just going to skip over the awesomeness of Vietnam and the frustration of Beijing to the most recent travels. I'll come back to those locales at some point, probably not til I'm back home though. I'll never catch up otherwise.

So my last week in Hong Kong was so much fun, so stressful, and so sad. I made a lot of great friends in the past 4 months, and it's hard to say goodbye knowing that it's very likely I'll never see them again. Sad to say goodbye, but it did lead to a lot of "last" nights out on the town. The best was Last Ladies Night where Kelly and I ended up taking the first morning train back to campus. I saw the sunrise as I was walking back to my room. My official last night in HK was great - typical canteen dinner, cheap drinks at the campus bar, and then off to Causeway Bay and 7-11 drinks on the harbor as we waxed philosophic on anything and everything. However, that means I didn't get back to my room until 5:30am. Did I mention I needed to get up at 7am to catch my flight to Malaysia? Well, I woek up at 9:15 and had to do a mad dash to the airport! Ended u making the final call thanks to a lot of luck and a very skillful cab driver. Never doing that again. Well, I say that now....

So on my flight I ended up talking the whole 3 hours to this guy and his family that I was sitting next to. We exchanged cultural knowledge and he answered a lot of my questions about Malaysia. Made for a pleasant and knowledgable flight.

Exploring Kuala Lumpur was fun but not really anything new. Made friends with a couple of the girls in my hostel and have pretty much spent all of my time here with them. Visited the Pavillion (a shopping center), the Lake Gardens (Orchid & Hibiscus Gardens and National Mosque), Little India (yummmmm), Chinatown (markets markets markets), and the Petronas Towers and the KL Communication Tower. It's interesting to see an area where every building is so different - moorish, chinese, and western architecture stand side by side. You see women walking in shorts and a tank top on the same block as women in burkas and saris.

No comments: